MANILA, Philippines – The Palace reassured that Bayanihan II can take its time. It said on Tuesday that the government still has ample resources for COVID-19 response.
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque reassured that the Congress does not need to hold special sessions for the Bayanihan II.
“There is no need to rush because we already have everything we need for COVID-19…It does not have to happen overnight. I hope it happens soon, but for now, we do not have a request for a special session,” Roque said.
Roque explained, “It seems that Bayanihan II can be discussed during the regular congress.”
The Palace reassured that the discussion on the said law will still make it. After all, the house will re-open by July, immediately after the State of the Nation Address.
The need for budget during the pandemic
Last month, the congress adjourned their session without discussing pertinent measures for the COVID-19 response. The original Bayanihan Law expired last June 25. It was the measure that granted emergency powers to the president.
In line with the health crisis, the economic team of the palace has worked intensively to ensure stability.
Roque explained, “We are making sure that we have enough funds for the stimulus package. The position of (Finance) Secretary (Carlos) Dominguez is we can only afford up to P140 billion.”
Previously, Budget Secretary Wendel Avisado stated that Malacanang cant request for an additional budget. He cited the reason that there are no new tax collections as well as surplus funds.