President Rodrigo Roa Duterte proclaimed a nationwide emergency and declared a state of public health emergency in response to Covid-19.
Senator Christopher Lawrence Go made the confirmation on Saturday, March 7.
Reports said Duterte made the decision upon the recommendation of the Department of Health (DOH) to mobilize the government’s resources, ease processes, and intensify reporting about Covid-19.
“Pursuant to the recommendation of the DOH and my suggestion as Chair of the Senate Committee on Health, President Rodrigo Duterte has agreed to issue a declaration of a State of Public Health Emergency due to the confirmation of local transmission of Covid-19 in our country,” Go said.
Malacañang has yet to issue an official statement, as of press time.
On Saturday, the Department of Health confirmed a new case of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in the country, bringing the total number of confirmed cases to six.
Reports said the latest case is the wife of a patient previously confirmed to have tested positive for COVID-19 who had no recent travel history, Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said in a press briefing.
“The DOH also reports that the patient’s wife tested positive for COVID-19 after contact tracing activities were prompted,” Duque said.