The ranking of the Best Dentistry Schools in the Philippines for 2019 has been released, which featured only 7 out of the 37 colleges and universities offering programs in dentistry.
The University of the Philippines-Manila outranked last year’s best dentistry school, the University of the East-Manila. UP Manila garnered 79.72 percent overall score. The University of the East-Manila followed with 75.99 percent while the University of Baguio and the Centro Escolar University-Makati ranked third and fourth with 68.79% and 68.71% overall scores, respectively. Cebu Doctor’s University landed fifth with a 66.50 percent overall score.
The ranking is based on the results of two dentist licensure examinations in 2019 (May and December) plus other factors including level of accreditation and faculty-student ratio to find out which schools offering programs in dentistry have the most valuable degree programs to produce a batch of examinees with high dentist licensure examination passing rates.
The ranking uses the same performance indicators as the Local Pulse School Rankings, however, the weightings for a number of examinees were adjusted to reflect programs with fewer examinees. Details on the methodology are discussed here. Other possible factors that are possibly secondary variables in determining the best Philippine schools to study dentistry are included in the disclaimer page. Factors such as international linkages, community involvement, employer reputation, research outputs, and research citations per faculty are not part of this study. These variables are assumed to be assessed by accredited agencies such as PACUCOA, PAASCU, AACCUP, and CHEd.
- 17 Rank Best Chemical Engineering Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 55 rank Best Nursing Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 20 rank Best Civil Engineering Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 23 rank Best Midwifery Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 8 rank Best Respiratory Therapy Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 11 rank Best Philippine Schools to Become a Psychologist for 2019
- 6 rank 2019 Best Optometry Schools in the Philippines
- 24 Rank Best Electronics Engineering Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 5 Ranked Best Accountancy Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 31 Ranked Best Medical Technology Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 49 Ranked Best Electrical Engineering Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 40 Best Mechanical Engineering Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 10 Ranked Best Physical Therapy Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 12 Best Radiologic Technology Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 15 Best Architecture Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 2019 University Rankings based on Centers of Development/Excellence
To rank the schools, we took the weighted passing rates of the two dentist licensure examinations in 2019, the number of examinees, and top performing examinees as the overall board exam performance, and faculty-student ratio and accreditation status of the dentistry program as other criteria. Note that the passing rates we used in 2018 were adjusted to 65% and above (unlike the PRC’s 80%), and a minimum of 10 examinees (unlike the PRC’s 50 minimum examinees).
Read on to see which schools made the list.
|7 Best Philippine Schools with Dentistry Programs for 2019|
|OVERALL BOARD EXAM PERFORMANCE (70%)||OTHER CRITERIA (30%)|
|RANK||OVERALL SCORE (%)||PASSED||FAILED||TOTAL||Weighted Ave. (PASSED) (40%)||No. of Examinees (20%)||With Top Examinees (10%)||Accreditation Level||Accr. Level Score (20%)||Faculty-Student Ratio (FSR)||No. of Students per Faculty||FSR Score (10%)|
|1||UNIVERSITY OF THE PHILIPPINES-MANILA||79.72||50||1||51||98.04%||70||100||Candidate||40||1:15||15||85|
|2||UNIVERSITY OF THE EAST-MANILA||75.99||153||78||231||66.23%||100||100||Level II||60||1:28||28||75|
|3||UNIVERSITY OF BAGUIO||68.79||29||12||41||70.73%||60||60||Level IV||80||1:37||37||65|
|4||CENTRO ESCOLAR UNIVERSITY-MAKATI||68.71||46||17||63||73.02%||80||60||Level I||50||1:23||23||75|
|5||CEBU DOCTORS UNIVERSITY||66.50||52||13||65||80.00%||80||40||Not Accredited||30||1:13||13||85|
|6||DAVAO MEDICAL SCHOOL FOUNDATION||65.55||19||3||22||86.36%||40||70||Not Accredited||30||1:6||6||100|
|7||UNIVERSITY OF PERPETUAL HELP SYSTEM DALTA-LAS PINAS||56.07||10||4||14||71.43%||30||40||Level II||60||1:41||41||55|
- 2019 List of Centers of Excellence and Development. (2019, May 8). Retrieved from https://ched.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2019-List-of-COE-and-CODs.pdf
- Private Higher Education Institutions Faculty-Student Ratio. (2019, June 8). Retrieved from https://ched.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2019-Private-HEIs-Faculty-Student-Ratio.pdf
- State Universities and Colleges (SUCs) Faculty Student Ratio. (2019, June 8). Retrieved from https://ched.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2019-SUCs-Faculty-Student-Ratio.pdf
- December 2019 Dentist Licensure Examination results released in two (2) working days. (2019, December 20). Retrieved from https://www.prc.gov.ph/article/december-2019-dentist-licensure-examination-results-released-two-2-working-days/4283
- May 2019 Dentist Licensure Examination results released in two (2) working days. (2019, June 4). Retrieved from https://www.prc.gov.ph/article/may-2019-dentist-licensure-examination-results-released-two-2-working-days/3978
- Accreditation Status of Institutional Members (All Years, 1992-2017). Retrieved from http://www.aaccupqa.org.ph/index.php/about-aaccup/institutional-members/4-institutional-members
- Institutions/Programs that were Granted Various Accredited Status by Region, (2019, July 4). Retrieved from https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uQi3ioO1duYpDC8CAfpZ821QDtTem4dS/view
- Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities. Retrieved from http://paascu.org.ph/?page_id=119