The ranking of the 2019 best optometry schools in the Philippines has been released, which currently featured only 6 out of the 9 colleges and universities offering programs in optometry.
Topping the list was Centro Escolar University-Manila, still the No. 1 best optometry school in the country. CEU-Manila obtained a 90.39% overall score based on overall board exam performance (70%), accreditation (20%), and faculty-student ratio (10%). The school is an accredited Center of Development (COD) in Optometry by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED).
Manila Central University-Caloocan City made the 2nd rank on the list for 2019 (also 2nd in the 2018 list), ahead of the Davao Doctors College, Inc. at 3rd rank (also 3rd in the 2018 list, and Southwestern University at 4th rank (also 4th in the 2018 list). Manila Central University is presently CHED’s Center of Excellence in optometry.
- 24 Rank Best Electronics Engineering Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 5 Ranked Best Accountancy Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 31 Ranked Best Medical Technology Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 49 Ranked Best Electrical Engineering Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 40 Best Mechanical Engineering Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 10 Ranked Best Physical Therapy Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 12 Best Radiologic Technology Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 15 Best Architecture Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 2019 University Rankings based on Centers of Development/Excellence
The newcomers in the list of best optometry schools, Mindanao Medical Foundation College and Lyceum Northwestern University, were ranked 5th and 6th.
The list is based on the results of this year’s optometrist licensure examination plus other factors including accreditation status of the program and faculty-student ratio to find out which schools offering programs in optometry have the most valuable degree programs to produce batch of examinees with high optometrist licensure examination passing rates.
The ranking uses the same performance indicators as the Local Pulse School Rankings, however, the weightings for the number of examinees were adjusted to reflect programs with fewer examinees. Details on the methodology are discussed here. Other possible factors that are possibly secondary variables in determining the best Philippine schools to study optometry are included in the disclaimer page. Factors such as international linkages, community involvement, employer reputation, research outputs, and research citations per faculty are not part of this study. These variables are assumed to be assessed by accrediting agencies such as PACUCOA, PAASCU, AACCUP, and CHEd.
To rank the schools, we took the weighted passing rate of the annual optometrist licensure examination in 2018, the number of examinees, and top performing examinees as the overall board exam performance, and faculty-student ratio and accreditation status of the optometry programs as other criteria. Note that the weighted passing rate average we used for 2018 optometrist licensure examination was adjusted to 70% and above (unlike the PRC’s 80%), and a minimum of 15 examinees (unlike the PRC’s 50 minimum examinees).
Read on to see which schools made the list.
|6 Best Philippine Schools with Optometry Programs for 2019|
|OVERALL BOARD EXAM PERFORMANCE (70%)||OTHER CRITERIA (30%)|
|RANK||OVERALL SCORE (%)||PASSED||FAILED||COND||TOTAL||Weighted % PASSED (40%)||No. of Examinees (20%)||With Top Examinees (10%)||Accreditation Level||Accreditation Level Score (20%)||Faculty-Student Ratio (FSR)||No. of Students per Faculty||FSR Score (10%)|
|1||CENTRO ESCOLAR UNIVERSITY- MANILA||91.86||120||1||11||132||90.91%||100||100||COD||90||1:24||24||75|
|2||MANILA CENTRAL UNIVERSITY- CALOOCAN CITY||82.90||24||0||1||25||96.00%||40||80||COE||100||1:12||12||85|
|3||DAVAO DOCTORS COLLEGE, INC.||74.50||15||0||0||15||100.00%||30||100||Level I||50||1:12||12||85|
|4||SOUTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY||72.50||45||3||2||50||90.00%||70||90||Not Accredited||30||1:23||23||75|
|5||MINDANAO MEDICAL FOUNDATION COLLEGE||59.17||13||0||2||15||86.67%||30||40||Not Accredited||30||1:10||10||85|
|6||LYCEUM NORTHWESTERN UNIV- DAGUPAN CITY||56.44||34||1||12||47||72.34%||60||40||Not Accredited||30||1:40||40||55|
- Private Higher Education Institutions Faculty-Student Ratio. (2019, June 8). Retrieved from https://ched.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2019-Private-HEIs-Faculty-Student-Ratio.pdf
- State Universities and Colleges (SUCs) Faculty Student Ratio. (2019, June 8). Retrieved from https://ched.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2019-SUCs-Faculty-Student-Ratio.pdf
- July 2019 Optometrist Licensure Examination results released in four (4) working days. (2019, July 24). Retrieved from https://www.prc.gov.ph/article/july-2019-optometrist-licensure-examination-results-released-four-4-working-days/4027
- Accreditation Status of Institutional Members (All Years, 1992-2017). Retrieved from http://www.aaccupqa.org.ph/index.php/about-aaccup/institutional-members/4-institutional-members
- Institutions/Programs that were Granted Various Accredited Status by Region, (2019, July 4). Retrieved from https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uQi3ioO1duYpDC8CAfpZ821QDtTem4dS/view
- Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities. Retrieved from http://paascu.org.ph/?page_id=119