The ranking of the best optometry schools in the Philippines for 2018 has been released, which currently features only 5 out of the 9 colleges and universities offering programs in optometry.
Centro Escolar University-Manila is ranked first in the country for optometry with 90.39% overall score based on overall board exam performance (70%), accreditation (20%), and faculty-student ratio (10%). The school is accredited Center of Development (COD) by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED).
Manila Central University-Caloocan City made the 2nd rank on the list for 2018, ahead of the Davao Doctors College, Inc. at 3rd rank, Southwestern University at 4th rank, and Central Philippine University at 5th. Manila Central University is presently CHED’s Center of Excellence in optometry.
The list is based on the results of this year’s optometrist licensure examination plus other factors including accreditation status of the program and faculty-student ratio to find out which schools offering programs in optometry have the most valuable degree programs to produce batch of examinees with high optometrist licensure examination passing rates.
The ranking uses the same performance indicators as the Local Pulse School Rankings, however the weightings for number of examinees were adjusted to reflect programs with less examinees. Details on the methodology are discussed here. Other possible factors which are possibly secondary variables in determining the best Philippine schools to study optometry are included in the disclaimer page. Factors such as international linkages, community involvement, employer reputation, research outputs, and research citations per faculty are not part of this study. These variables are assumed to be assessed by accrediting agencies such as PACUCOA, PAASCU, AACCUP, and CHEd.
- 14 Best Agricultural & Biosystems Engineering Schools in the Philippines for 2018
- 10 Best Agriculture Schools in the Philippines for 2018
- 29 Ranked Best Philippines Schools to Become Registered Master Electrician for 2018
- 8 Placed Best Respiratory Therapy Schools in the Philippines for 2018
- 7 Ranked Best Veterinary Medicine Schools in the Philippines for 2018
- 7 Best Occupational Therapy Schools in the Philippines for 2018
- 37 Ranked Best Electrical Engineering Schools in the Philippines for 2018
- 39 Best Mechanical Engineering Schools in the Philippines for 2018
- 23 Ranked Best Physical Therapy Schools in the Philippines for 2018
- 18 Best Nutrition and Dietetics Schools in the Philippines for 2018
- 17 Best Radiologic Technology Schools in the Philippines for 2018
- 41 Ranked Best Pharmacy Schools in the Philippines 2018
- 22 Best Architecture Schools in the Philippines for 2018
- 2018 University Rankings based on Centers of Development/Excellence
To rank the schools, we took the weighted passing rate of the annual optometrist licensure examination in 2018, the number of examinees, and top performing examinees as the overall board exam performance, and faculty-student ratio and accreditation status of the optometry programs as other criteria. Note that the weighted passing rate average we used for 2018 optometrist licensure examination were adjusted to 60% and above (unlike the PRC’s 80%), and minimum of 20 examinees (unlike the PRC’s 50 minimum examinees).
Read on to see which schools made the list.
|5 Best Philippine Schools to Study Optometry for 2018|
|RANK||SCHOOL||OVERALL SCORE||OVERALL BOARD EXAM PERFORMANCE (70%)||OTHER CRITERIA (30%)|
|PASSED||FAILED||TOTAL||% PASSED (40%)||No. of Examinees (20%)||With Top Examinees (10%)||Accreditation Level||Accreditation Level Score (20%)||Faculty-Student Ratio (FSR)||No. of Students per Faculty||FSR Score (10%|
|1||CENTRO ESCOLAR UNIVERSITY-MANILA||90.39||82||12||94||87.23%||100||100||COD||90||1:20||20||75|
|2||MANILA CENTRAL UNIVERSITY-CALOOCAN||83.78||21||1||22||94.45%||30||100||COE||100||1:8||8||100|
|3||DAVAO DOCTORS COLLEGE, INC.||73.50||22||0||22||100.00%||30||90||Level I||50||1:12||12||85|
|4||SOUTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY||58.35||22||4||26||84.62%||30||40||Not Accredited||30||1:18||18||85|
|5||CENTRAL PHILIPPINE UNIVERSITY||51.70||17||8||25||68.00%||30||40||Not Accredited||30||1:13||13||85|
- Private Higher Education Institutions Faculty-Student Ratio. (2018, June 8). Retrieved from https://ched.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Private-Higher-Education-Institutions-Faculty-Student-Ratio.pdf
- State Universities and Colleges (SUCs) Faculty Student Ratio. (2018, June 8). Retrieved from https://ched.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/State-Universities-and-Colleges-SUCs-Faculty-Student-Ratio.pdf
- List of Centers of Excellence and Development. (2018, May 8). Retrieved from https://ched.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/List-of-Centers-of-Excellence-and-Development.pdf
- July 2018 Optometrist Licensure Examination results released in three (3) working days. (2018, July 25). Retrieved from https://prc.gov.ph/article/july-2018-optometrist-licensure-examination-results-released-three-3-working-days/2552
- Institutions with Accredited Programs (as of May 2018). Retrieved from https://drive.google.com/file/d/12DBK6obVT1EgoeAXU3sI4pfKB_02emfJ/view
- Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities. Retrieved from http://paascu.org.ph/?page_id=119
- Accreditation Status of Institutional Members (All Years, 1992-2017). (2018). Retrieved from http://www.aaccupqa.org.ph/index.php/about-aaccup/2-uncategorised/73-accreditation-status-of-institutional-members-all-years-1992-2017