The ranking of the best medical schools in the Philippines for 2017 has been released, which currently features 25 of the 52 colleges and universities offering medicine programs.
University of Santo Tomas landed as the top medical school in 2017 with 96.11 percent. University of the East Ramon Magsaysay Memorial Medical Center followed with 95.49 percent while University of the Philippines-Manila ranked third with 85.52 pecent. These universities are currently Centers of Excellence for Medicine as declared by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED).
The rankings are based on the results of two physicians licensure examinations this year plus other factors including level of accreditation and faculty-student ratio to find out which medical schools have the most valuable programs to produce batch of examinees with high passing rate.
Details on the methodology are discussed here. Other possible factors which are possibly secondary variables in determining the best Philippine schools to study medicine are included in the disclaimer page. Factors such as international linkages, community involvement, employer reputation, research outputs, and research citations per faculty are not part of this study. These variables are assumed to be correlated to the board exam results.
- Top Philippine Architecture Schools in 2017
- 34 Best Electrical Engineering Schools in PH for 2017
- Best Philippine Schools for Medical Technology 2017
- 2017 University Rankings based on Centers of Development/Excellence
To rank the schools, we took the weighted mean of passing rates of two physician licensure examinations this year, the number of examinees, and top performing examinees as the overall board exam performance, and faculty-student ratio and accreditation status of the medicine program as other criteria.
Read on to see which schools made the list.
|25 Best Philippine Schools with Doctor of Medicine Programs for 2017|
|RANK||SCHOOL||OVERALL SCORE (%)||2017 OVERALL BOARD EXAM PERFORMANCE (70%)||OTHER CRITERIA (30%)|
|PASSED||FAILED||TOTAL||Weighted % PASSED (40%)||Number of Examinees (20%)||With Top Examinees (10%)||Accreditation Level||Accreditation Level Score (20%)||Faculty-Student Ratio||Number of Students per Faculty||Faculty-Student Ratio Score (10%)|
|1||UNIVERSITY OF SANTO TOMAS||96.11||500||18||518||96.53%||100||100||COE||100||1:21||21||75|
|2||UNIVERSITY OF THE EAST RAMON MAGSAYSAY MEM MEDICAL CTR||95.49||358||14||372||96.23%||90||90||COE||100||1:7||7||100|
|3||UNIVERSITY OF THE PHILIPPINES- MANILA||85.52||160||4||164||97.56%||50||80||COE||100||1:16||16||85|
|4||DE LA SALLE UNIVERSITY-HEALTH SCIENCES INSTITUTE||81.60||259||91||350||74.00%||90||100||Level III||70||1:9||9||100|
|5||FAR EASTERN UNIVERSITY- NICANOR REYES MEDICAL FOUNDATION||80.82||405||41||446||90.81%||100||40||Level II||60||1:11||11||85|
|6||SAINT LUKE'S COLLEGE OF MEDICINE||77.03||84||1||85||98.82%||30||70||JCI Accredited||80||1:14+||14||85|
|7||CEBU INSTITUTE OF MEDICINE||77.00||133||0||133||100.00%||40||70||Level II||60||1:7||7||100|
|8||XAVIER UNIVERSITY||70.74||65||3||68||95.59%||30||40||Level III||70||1:15||15||85|
|9||WEST VISAYAS STATE UNIVERSITY-LA PAZ||70.13||113||4||117||96.58%||40||90||Not Accredited||30||1:19||19||85|
|10||SILLIMAN UNIVERSITY||67.70||49||1||50||98.00%||30||40||Level I||50||1:12||12||85|
|11||SAINT LOUIS UNIVERSITY||67.47||146||21||167||87.42%||50||40||Level II||60||1:37||37||65|
|12||PAMANTASAN NG LUNGSOD NG MAYNILA||67.44||110||3||113||97.35%||40||40||Candidate||40||1:14+||14||85|
|13||ATENEO DE MLA UNIV. SCHOOL OF MED. & PUBLIC HEALTH-PASIG||66.90||141||4||145||97.24%||40||40||Not Accredited||30||1:08||8||100|
|14||DAVAO MEDICAL SCHOOL FOUNDATION||65.78||114||21||135||84.45%||40||40||Level I||50||1:7||7||100|
|15||CEBU DOCTORS UNIVERSITY- COLLEGE OF MEDICINE||65.19||119||9||128||92.97%||40||40||Not Accredited||30||1:3||3||100|
|16||ANGELES UNIVERSITY FOUNDATION||64.91||71||7||78||91.02%||30||40||Level I||50||1:15||15||85|
|17||SAN BEDA COLLEGE||63.87||107||14||121||88.43%||40||40||Candidate||40||1:13||13||85|
|18||CENTRAL PHILIPPINE UNIVERSITY||60.08||68||13||81||83.95%||30||60||Not Accredited||30||1:16||16||85|
|19||ATENEO DE ZAMBOANGA UNIVERSITY||59.70||39||11||50||78.00%||30||40||Level I||50||1:13||13||85|
|20||CAGAYAN STATE UNIVERSITY- TUGUEGARAO||58.10||64||10||74||86.49%||30||40||Not Accredited||30||1:29||29||75|
|21||ILOILO DOCTORS COLLEGE OF MEDICINE||57.43||55||15||70||78.57%||30||40||Not Accredited||30||1:3||3||100|
|22||REMEDIOS T. ROMUALDEZ MEDICAL FOUNDATION||55.05||61||23||84||72.62%||30||40||Not Accredited||30||1:7||7||100|
|23||MINDANAO STATE UNIVERSITY- MARAWI CITY||54.83||65||18||83||78.31%||30||40||Not Accredited||30||1:21||21||75|
|24||MANILA CENTRAL UNIVERSITY- CALOOCAN CITY||54.65||76||32||108||70.37%||40||40||Not Accredited||30||1:12||12||85|
|25||UNIVERSITY OF SAINT LA SALLE||54.50||54||18||72||75.00%||30||40||Not Accredited||30||1:18||18||85|
- + – average (estimate) number of faculty members per student of the other 23 colleges and universities offering medicine programs
- Weighted passing rates used were 70% and above, and minimum of 50 examinees
- List of Centers of Excellence and Development. (2017, January 24). Retrieved from http://api.ched.ph/api/v1/download/4323
- Private Higher Education Institutions Faculty-Student Ratio. (2017, April 10). Retrieved from http://api.ched.ph/api/v1/download/4433
- Private Higher Education Institutions Faculty-Student Ratio 2015/2016. (2016). Retrieved from http://api.ched.ph/api/v1/download/2346
- State Universities and Colleges (SUCs) Faculty Student Ratio. (2017, April 10). Retrieved from http://api.ched.ph/api/v1/download/4327
- September 2017 Physician Licensure Examination results released in four (4) working days. (2017, September 22). Retrieved from http://www.prc.gov.ph/news/?id=7680
- March 2017 Physician Licensure Examination results released in three (3) working days. (2017, March 16). Retrieved from http://www.prc.gov.ph/news/?id=6485
- Certified Levels. Institutions that were Granted Institutional Accreditation. (2017, April 25). Retrieved from http://www.pacucoa.ph/Certified%20Levels%20as%20of%20June%202017.pdf
- Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities. Retrieved from http://paascu.org.ph/?page_id=119
- JCI-Accredited Organizations. Retrieved from http://www.jointcommissioninternational.org/about-jci/jci-accredited-organizations/?c=Philippines&a=Academic%20Medical%20Center%20Hospital%20Program