(Updated 12:30 p.m., 16 Sep. 2018) The rankings of the best architecture schools in the Philippines for 2018 have been released. Only 22 out of the 95 colleges and universities offering undergraduate programs in architecture made the list.
University of Santo Tomas led the list of the top performing schools offering architecture undergraduate programs in 2018 with 81.40 percent overall score. University of the Philippines Diliman followed with 79.98 percent overall score while Polytechnic University of the Philippines-Main and Bicol University-Legazpi ranked third and fourth with 74.98% and 71.96% overall scores, respectively. Mapua University-Manila landed fifth with 67.82 percent overall score.
The rankings were based on the results of two licensure examinations in 2018 (January and June) plus other factors including level of accreditation and faculty-student ratio to find out which schools offering undergraduate programs in architecture have the most valuable degree programs to produce batch of examinees with high architecture licensure examination (ALE) passing rates.
The ranking used the same performance indicators as the Local Pulse School Rankings, however the weightings for number of examinees were adjusted to reflect programs with less examinees. Details on the methodology are discussed here. Other possible factors which are possibly secondary variables in determining the best Philippine schools to study architecture are included in the disclaimer page. Factors such as international linkages, community involvement, employer reputation, research outputs, and research citations per faculty are not part of this study. These variables are assumed to be assessed by accredited agencies such as PACUCOA, PAASCU, and AACCUP.
- 17 Best Architecture Schools in the Philippines for 2017
- 2017 University Rankings based on Centers of Development/Excellence
To rank the schools, we took the weighted passing rates of the two architecture licensure examinations (ALE) in 2018, the number of examinees, and top performing examinees [January 2018, June 2018] as the overall board exam performance, and faculty-student ratio and accreditation status of the architecture undergraduate program as other criteria. Note that the passing rates we used for 2018 architecture licensure examinations were adjusted to 60% and above (unlike the PRC’s 80%), and minimum of 20 examinees (unlike the PRC’s 50 minimum examinees).
Read on to see which schools made the list.
|22 Best Philippine Schools with Architecture Programs for 2018|
|RANK||2017 RANKING||SCHOOL||OVERALL SCORE||2018 OVERALL BOARD EXAM PERFORMANCE (70%)||OTHER CRITERIA (30%)|
|PASSED||FAILED||TOTAL||Weighted % PASSED (40%)||No. Of Examinees (20%)||With Top Examinees (10%)||Accreditation Level||Accreditation Level Score (20%)||No. of Students per Faculty||FSR Score (10%)|
|1||2||UNIVERSITY OF SANTO TOMAS||81.40||317||57||374||84.76%||100||100||Level I||50||21||75|
|2||1||UNIVERSITY OF THE PHILIPPINES- DILIMAN||79.98||76||1||77||98.70%||50||100||Independent||60||16||85|
|3||11||POLYTECHNIC UNIVERSITY OF THE PHILIPPINES-MAIN||74.98||96||30||126||76.19%||80||100||Level II||60||33||65|
|4||-||BICOL UNIVERSITY-LEGAZPI||71.96||91||52||143||63.64%||90||90||Level II||60||22||75|
|5||6||MAPUA UNIVERSITY-MANILA||67.82||72||23||95||75.79%||60||80||Level I||50||25||75|
|6||4||TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY OF THE PHILIPPINES-MANILA||67.78||81||26||107||75.70%||70||40||Level II||60||23||75|
|7||10||SAINT LOUIS UNIVERSITY||63.69||138||65||203||67.98%||100||40||Not Accredited||30||37||65|
|8||-||BULACAN STATE UNIVERSITY-MALOLOS||63.48||76||41||117||64.96%||70||40||Level III||70||43||55|
|9||-||DE LA SALLE-COLLEGE OF SAINT BENILDE||62.83||59||14||73||80.82%||50||40||Candidate||40||13||85|
|10||7||ATENEO DE DAVAO UNIVERSITY||62.30||41||9||50||82.00%||40||70||Not Accredited||30||16||85|
|11||9||DE LA SALLE UNIVERSITY- DASMARIÑAS||62.28||38||7||45||84.44%||40||40||Candidate||40||19||85|
|12||-||HOLY ANGEL UNIVERSITY||60.32||71||39||110||64.54%||70||40||Level I||50||32||65|
|13||5||UNIVERSITY OF SAN CARLOS||60.04||71||22||93||76.34%||60||40||Not Accredited||30||22||75|
|14||-||BATANGAS STATE UNIVERSITY - ALANGILAN||59.18||58||36||94||61.70%||60||40||Level II||60||39||65|
|15||14||UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY OF SOUTHERN PHILIPPINES-CDO||58.17||28||14||42||66.67%||40||40||Level II||60||25||75|
|16||13||UNIVERSITY OF SAINT LOUIS-TUGUEGARAO||56.52||37||14||51||72.55%||40||60||Not Accredited||30||27||75|
|17||-||CAVITE STATE UNIVERSITY||56.50||15||5||20||75.00%||30||40||Level I||50||33||65|
|18||-||UNIVERSITY OF THE EAST- CALOOCAN||52.98||16||5||21||76.19%||30||40||Not Accredited||30||31||65|
|19||15||PALAWAN STATE UNIVERSITY-PUERTO PRINCESA||52.33||18||11||29||62.07%||30||40||Level I||50||24||75|
|20||-||UNIVERSITY OF THE CORDILLERAS||51.07||15||6||21||71.43%||30||40||Not Accredited||30||32||65|
|21||-||UNIVERSITY OF NUEVA CACERES||50.16||20||10||30||66.66%||30||40||Not Accredited||30||20||75|
|22||-||SAINT LOUIS COLLEGE OF SAN FERNANDO||50.14||25||14||39||64.10%||30||40||Candidate||40||30||65|
- Private Higher Education Institutions Faculty-Student Ratio. (2017, April 10). Retrieved from http://api.ched.ph/api/v1/download/4433
- Private Higher Education Institutions Faculty-Student Ratio 2015/2016. (2016). Retrieved from http://api.ched.ph/api/v1/download/2346
- State Universities and Colleges (SUCs) Faculty Student Ratio. (2017, April 10). Retrieved from http://api.ched.ph/api/v1/download/4327
- June 2018 Architect Licensure Examination Results Released In Four (4) Working Days. Retrieved from http://www.prc.gov.ph/article/june-2018-architect-licensure-examination-results-released-four-4-working-days/2410
- January 2018 Architect Licensure Examination Results Released in Four (4) Working Days. Retrieved from http://www.prc.gov.ph/article/january-2018-architect-licensure-examination-results-released-four-4-working-days/1231
- Institutions/Programs that were Granted Various Accredited Status by Region, (2018, March 10). Retrieved from https://sites.google.com/ceu.edu.ph/pacucoa/institutions?authuser=0
- Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities. Retrieved from http://paascu.org.ph/?page_id=119