The ranking of the Best Social Work Schools in the Philippines for 2019 has been released, which currently featured only 19 out of the 124 colleges and universities offering social work undergraduate programs.
The University of the Philippines Diliman took the lead for social work with an 85.50% overall score after considering their performance in the 2019 social work licensure examination, accreditation status, and faculty-student ratio. UP Diliman is presently the sole Center of Excellence (COE) in social work as accredited by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED).
Bicol University-Daraga made the 2nd rank on the list for 2019 with an 82.68% overall score, ahead of Leyte Normal University in Tacloban City at 3rd rank with an 81.68% overall score, Bicol University-Tabaco 4th rank with 76.36%, and Mindanao State University-Marawi City at 5th rank with 76.17%.
Rounding out the remaining five places for the first 10 best social work schools are the Ateneo de Davao University at 6th rank, Saint Louis University in Baguio City at 7th, Lourdes College at 8th, Palawan State University in Puerto Princesa City at 9th, and Universidad de Santa Isabel at 10th.
The list is based on the results of August 2019 social work licensure examination plus other factors including accreditation status of the program and faculty-student ratio to find out which schools offering social work programs have the most valuable degree programs to produce a batch of examinees with high social work licensure examination passing rates.
The ranking uses the same performance indicators as the Local Pulse School Rankings, however, the weightings for a number of examinees were adjusted to reflect programs with fewer examinees. Details on the methodology are discussed here. Other possible factors that are possibly secondary variables in determining the best Philippine schools to study social work are included in the disclaimer page. Factors such as international linkages, community involvement, employer reputation, research outputs, and research citations per faculty are not part of this study. These variables are assumed to be assessed by accrediting agencies such as PACUCOA, PAASCU, AACCUP, and CHED.
- 5 rank Best Customs Administration Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 6 rank Best Veterinary Medicine Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 4 rank Best Aeronautical Engineering Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 4 rank Best Agricultural & Biosystems Engineering Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 10 rank Best Geodetic Engineering Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 6 rank Best Fisheries Technology Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 44 rank Best Secondary Education Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 40 rank Best Elementary Education Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 10 Best Agriculture Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 7 Rank Best Dentistry Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 17 Rank Best Chemical Engineering Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 55 rank Best Nursing Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 20 rank Best Civil Engineering Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 23 rank Best Midwifery Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 8 rank Best Respiratory Therapy Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 11 rank Best Philippine Schools to Become a Psychologist for 2019
- 6 rank 2019 Best Optometry Schools in the Philippines
- 24 Rank Best Electronics Engineering Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 5 Ranked Best Accountancy Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 31 Ranked Best Medical Technology Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 49 Ranked Best Electrical Engineering Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 40 Best Mechanical Engineering Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 10 Ranked Best Physical Therapy Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 12 Best Radiologic Technology Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 15 Best Architecture Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 2019 University Rankings based on Centers of Development/Excellence
To rank the schools, we took the passing rate of the August 2019 social work licensure examination, number of examinees, and top performing examinees as the overall board exam performance, and faculty-student ratio and accreditation status of social work as other criteria. Note that the weighted passing rates we used for the August 2019 social work licensure examination were adjusted to 65% and above (unlike the PRC’s 80%), and a minimum of 20 examinees (unlike the PRC’s 50 minimum examinees).
Read on to see which schools made the list.
|19 Best Philippine Schools to Study Social Work for 2019|
|OVERALL BOARD EXAM PERFORMANCE (70%)||OTHER CRITERIA (30%)|
|RANK||OVERALL SCORE (%)||PASSED||FAILED||TOTAL||Weighted Ave. (PASSED) (40%)||No. of Examinees (20%)||With Top Examinees (10%)||Accreditation Level||Accr. Level Score (20%)||Faculty-Student Ratio (FSR)||No. of Students per Faculty||FSR Score (10%)|
|1||UNIVERSITY OF THE PHILIPPINES-DILIMAN||85.50||20||0||20||100.00%||40||90||COE||100||1:15||15||85|
|2||BICOL UNIVERSITY-DARAGA||82.68||132||10||142||92.96%||100||40||Level III||70||1:24||24||75|
|3||LEYTE NORMAL UNIVERSITY||81.68||48||1||49||97.96%||60||100||Level II||60||1:18||18||85|
|4||BICOL UNIVERSITY-TABACO||76.36||61||9||70||87.14%||90||60||Level I||50||1:24||24||75|
|5||MINDANAO STATE UNIVERSITY-MARAWI CITY||76.17||91||14||105||86.67%||100||70||Not Accredited||30||1:17||17||85|
|6||ATENEO DE DAVAO UNIVERSITY||70.69||19||2||21||90.48%||40||40||Level III||70||1:13||13||85|
|7||SAINT LOUIS UNIVERSITY||70.30||77||23||100||77.00%||100||40||Candidate||40||1:27||27||75|
|8||LOURDES COLLEGE||67.50||21||9||30||70.00%||50||70||Level III||70||1:11||11||85|
|9||PALAWAN STATE UNIVERSITY-P. PRINCESA||67.38||44||13||57||77.19%||70||40||Level II||60||1:30||30||65|
|10||UNIVERSIDAD DE SANTA ISABEL||65.65||29||4||33||87.88%||50||40||Candidate||40||1:16||16||85|
|11||OCCIDENTAL MINDORO STATE COLLEGE||63.82||47||15||62||75.81%||80||40||Not Accredited||30||1:27||27||75|
|12||NOTRE DAME OF MARBEL UNIVERSITY||63.80||18||5||23||78.26%||40||40||Level II||60||1:18||18||85|
|13||SOUTHERN CHRISTIAN COLLEGE||63.30||23||2||25||92.00%||40||40||Not Accredited||30||1:13||13||85|
|14||PAMANTASAN NG LUNGSOD NG VALENZUELA||62.39||37||8||45||82.22%||60||40||Not Accredited||30||1:22||22||75|
|15||SAINT PAUL UNIVERSITY-TUGUEGARAO||61.69||27||10||37||72.97%||50||40||Level II||60||1:35||35||65|
|16||UNIVERSITY OF CEBU||60.35||33||6||39||84.62%||50||40||Not Accredited||30||1:39||39||65|
|17||INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL OF ASIA & THE PACIFIC||59.67||35||13||48||72.92%||60||40||Not Accredited||30||1:18||18||85|
|18||COLEGIO DE STA. ANA DE VICTORIAS-NEGROS OCCIDENTAL||56.50||15||5||20||75.00%||40||40||Not Accredited||30||1:15||15||85|
|19||URDANETA CITY UNIVERSITY||54.60||21||10||31||67.74%||50||40||Not Accredited||30||1:22||22||75|
- 2019 List of Centers of Excellence and Development. (2019, May 8). Retrieved from https://ched.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2019-List-of-COE-and-CODs.pdf
- Private Higher Education Institutions Faculty-Student Ratio. (2019, June 8). Retrieved from https://ched.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2019-Private-HEIs-Faculty-Student-Ratio.pdf
- State Universities and Colleges (SUCs) Faculty Student Ratio. (2019, June 8). Retrieved from https://ched.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2019-SUCs-Faculty-Student-Ratio.pdf
- August 2019 Licensure Examination for Social Workers Results Released in Three (3) Working Days. (2019, August 29). Retrieved from https://www.prc.gov.ph/article/august-2019-licensure-examination-social-workers-results-released-three-3-working-days/4084
- Accreditation Status of Institutional Members (All Years, 1992-2017). Retrieved from http://www.aaccupqa.org.ph/index.php/about-aaccup/institutional-members/4-institutional-members
- Institutions/Programs that were Granted Various Accredited Status by Region, (2019, July 4). Retrieved from https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uQi3ioO1duYpDC8CAfpZ821QDtTem4dS/view
- Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities. Retrieved from http://paascu.org.ph/?page_id=119