The ranking of the best architecture schools in the Philippines for 2019 has been released. Only 15 out of the 101 colleges and universities offering undergraduate programs in architecture made the list.
The University of Santo Tomas ranked No. 1 on the list of the best schools offering architecture undergraduate programs for 2019 with an 84.47 percent overall score. The University of the Philippines Diliman followed with a 77.85 percent overall score while Saint Louis University and the University of San Carlos ranked third and fourth with 72.57% and 70.39% overall scores, respectively. Mapua University-Manila landed fifth with 70.18 percent overall score.
The rankings were based on the results of two licensure examinations in 2019 (January and June) plus other factors including level of accreditation and faculty-student ratio to find out which schools offering undergraduate programs in architecture have the most valuable degree programs to produce a batch of examinees with high architecture licensure examination (ALE) passing rates.
The ranking used the same performance indicators as the Local Pulse School Rankings, however, the weightings for the number of examinees were adjusted to reflect programs with fewer examinees. Details on the methodology are discussed here. Other possible factors which are possibly secondary variables in determining the best Philippine schools to study architecture are included in the disclaimer page. Factors such as international linkages, community involvement, employer reputation, research outputs, and research citations per faculty are not part of this study. These variables are assumed to be assessed by accredited agencies such as PACUCOA, PAASCU, and AACCUP.
- 22 Best Architecture Schools in the Philippines for 2018
- 17 Best Architecture Schools in the Philippines for 2017
- Top Performing Architecture Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- Top Performing Architecture Schools in the Philippines for 2018
To rank the schools, we took the weighted passing rates of the two architecture licensure examinations (ALE) in 2019, the number of examinees, and top-performing examinees in January and June 2019 schedules as the overall board exam performance, and faculty-student ratio and accreditation status of the architecture undergraduate program as other criteria. Note that the passing rates we used for 2019 architecture licensure examinations were adjusted to 70% and above (unlike the PRC’s 80%), and a minimum of 40 examinees (unlike the PRC’s 50 minimum examinees).
Read on to see which schools made the list.
|15 Best Philippine Schools with Architecture Programs for 2019|
|OVERALL BOARD EXAM PERFORMANCE (70%)||OTHER CRITERIA (30%)|
|RANK||SCHOOL||OVERALL SCORE||PASSED||FAILED||TOTAL||Weighted Ave. (PASSED) (40%)||No. of Examinees (20%)||With Top Examinees (10%)||Accreditation Level||Accreditation Level Score (20%)||Faculty-Student Ratio (FSR)||No. of Students per Faculty||FSR Score (10%)|
|1||UNIVERSITY OF SANTO TOMAS||84.47||278||40||318||87.42%||100||90||Level II||60||1:14||14||85|
|2||UNIVERSITY OF THE PHILIPPINES-DILIMAN||77.85||61||1||62||98.39%||40||100||Independent||60||1:15||15||85|
|3||SAINT LOUIS UNIVERSITY||72.57||160||46||206||77.67%||100||80||Not Accredited||30||1:28||28||75|
|4||UNIVERSITY OF SAN CARLOS||70.39||116||17||133||87.22%||70||70||Not Accredited||30||1:16||16||85|
|5||MAPUA UNIVERSITY-MANILA||70.18||80||15||95||84.21%||50||90||Level I||50||1:23||23||75|
|6||TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY OF THE PHILIPPINES-MANILA||70.03||61||14||75||81.33%||40||100||Level II||60||1:21||21||75|
|7||DE LA SALLE UNIVERSITY-COLLEGE OF SAINT BENILDE||69.73||83||20||103||80.58%||60||90||Candidate||40||1:13||13||85|
|8||PAMANTASAN NG LUNGSOD NG MAYNILA||69.15||58||8||66||87.88%||40||40||Independent||60||1:21||21||75|
|9||POLYTECHNIC UNIVERSITY OF THE PHILIPPINES-MAIN||66.57||87||25||112||77.68%||60||40||Level II||60||1:27||27||75|
|10||BULACAN STATE UNIVERSITY-MALOLOS||65.91||76||31||107||71.03%||60||40||Level III||70||1:28||28||75|
|11||HOLY ANGEL UNIVERSITY||65.78||112||41||153||73.20%||80||40||Level I||50||1:32||32||65|
|12||ATENEO DE DAVAO UNIVERSITY||62.57||55||6||61||90.16%||40||40||Not Accredited||30||1:14||14||85|
|13||DE LA SALLE UNIVERSITY-DASMARIÑAS||59.83||35||7||42||83.33%||30||40||Candidate||40||1:15||15||85|
|14||SAINT LOUIS COLLEGE OF SAN FERNANDO||57.50||36||9||45||80.00%||30||40||Candidate||40||1:26||26||75|
|15||UNIVERSITY OF SAINT LOUIS-TUGUEGARAO||55.08||45||12||57||78.95%||30||40||Not Accredited||30||1:23||23||75|
- Private Higher Education Institutions Faculty-Student Ratio. (2018, June 8). Retrieved from https://ched.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Private-Higher-Education-Institutions-Faculty-Student-Ratio.pdf
- State Universities and Colleges (SUCs) Faculty Student Ratio. (2018, June 8). Retrieved from https://ched.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/State-Universities-and-Colleges-SUCs-Faculty-Student-Ratio.pdf
- June 2019 Architect Licensure Examination results released in four (4) working days. (2019, July 4). Retrieved from https://www.prc.gov.ph/article/june-2019-architect-licensure-examination-results-released-four-4-working-days/4007
- 2019 Architect Licensure Examination Results Released in Three (3) Working Days. (2019, January 30). Retrieved from https://www.prc.gov.ph/article/2019-architect-licensure-examination-results-released-three-3-working-days/3854
- Accreditation Status of Institutional Members (All Years, 1992-2017). Retrieved from http://www.aaccupqa.org.ph/index.php/about-aaccup/institutional-members/4-institutional-members
- Institutions/Programs that were Granted Various Accredited Status by Region, (2019, July 4). Retrieved from https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uQi3ioO1duYpDC8CAfpZ821QDtTem4dS/view
- Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities. Retrieved from http://paascu.org.ph/?page_id=119