The ranking of the Best Library and Information Science Schools in the Philippines for 2019 has been released. Only 15 out of the 88 colleges and universities offering library and information science programs made the list.
The University of the Philippines-Diliman led the list of the best schools offering library and information science undergraduate programs in 2019 with 94.50 percent overall score based on overall board exam performance (70%), program accreditation (20%), and faculty-student ratio (10%). The University of Santo Tomas followed with 88.63 percent while Benguet State University-La Trinidad and the Polytechnic University of the Philippines-Main ranked third and fourth with 82.97% and 74.34% overall scores, respectively. Philippine Normal University-Manila landed fifth with 71.50 percent overall score. UP Diliman is currently the Center of Excellence (COE) in library information science as accredited by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED). Meanwhile, UST is currently the Center of Development (COD) in library information science.
Rounding out the remaining five places for the first 10 best library and information science schools are the Saint Louis University in Baguio City at 6th rank, University of San Jose Recoletos in Cebu City at 7th, Lourdes College in Cagayan de Oro City at 8th, City College of Calapan in Oriental Mindoro at 9th, and Baliuag University at 10th.
The rankings are based on the results of the September 2019 Librarian Licensure Examination plus other factors including level of accreditation and faculty-student ratio to find out which schools offering undergraduate programs in library and information science have the most valuable degree programs to produce a batch of examinees with high librarian licensure examination passing rates.
The ranking uses the same performance indicators as the Local Pulse School Rankings, however, the weightings for the number of examinees were adjusted to reflect programs with fewer examinees. Details on the methodology are discussed here. Other possible factors that are possibly secondary variables in determining the best Philippine schools to study library and information science are included in the disclaimer page. Factors such as international linkages, community involvement, employer reputation, research outputs, and research citations per faculty are not part of this study. These variables are assumed to be assessed by accredited agencies such as PACUCOA, PAASCU, and AACCUP.
- 5 rank Best Customs Administration Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 6 rank Best Veterinary Medicine Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 4 rank Best Aeronautical Engineering Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 4 rank Best Agricultural & Biosystems Engineering Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 10 rank Best Geodetic Engineering Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 6 rank Best Fisheries Technology Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 44 rank Best Secondary Education Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 40 rank Best Elementary Education Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 10 Best Agriculture Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 7 Rank Best Dentistry Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 17 Rank Best Chemical Engineering Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 55 rank Best Nursing Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 20 rank Best Civil Engineering Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 23 rank Best Midwifery Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 8 rank Best Respiratory Therapy Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 11 rank Best Philippine Schools to Become a Psychologist for 2019
- 6 rank 2019 Best Optometry Schools in the Philippines
- 24 Rank Best Electronics Engineering Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 5 Ranked Best Accountancy Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 31 Ranked Best Medical Technology Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 49 Ranked Best Electrical Engineering Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 40 Best Mechanical Engineering Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 10 Ranked Best Physical Therapy Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 12 Best Radiologic Technology Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 15 Best Architecture Schools in the Philippines for 2019
- 2019 University Rankings based on Centers of Development/Excellence
To rank the schools, we took the weighted passing rate of September 2019 librarian licensure examination, number of examinees, and top performing examinees as the overall board exam performance, and faculty-student ratio and accreditation status of library and information science as other criteria. Note that the weighted passing rates we used for the September 2019 librarian licensure examination were adjusted to 60% and above (unlike the PRC’s 80%), and a minimum of 10 examinees (unlike the PRC’s 50 minimum examinees).
Read on to see which schools made the list.
|15 Best Philippine Schools to Study Library and Information Science for 2019|
|OVERALL BOARD EXAM PERFORMANCE (70%)||OTHER CRITERIA (30%)|
|RANK||OVERALL SCORE (%)||PASSED||FAILED||TOTAL||Weighted Ave. (PASSED) (40%)||No. of Examinees (20%)||With Top Examinees (10%)||Accreditation Level||Accr. Level Score (20%)||Faculty-Student Ratio (FSR)||No. of Students per Faculty||FSR Score (10%)|
|1||UNIVERSITY OF THE PHILIPPINES-DILIMAN||94.50||36||0||36||100.00%||90||80||COE||100||1:15||15||85|
|2||UNIVERSITY OF SANTO TOMAS||88.63||28||3||31||90.32%||80||100||COD||90||1:14||14||85|
|3||BENGUET STATE UNIVERSITY-LA TRINIDAD||82.97||31||3||34||91.18%||80||100||Level II||60||1:18||18||85|
|4||POLYTECHNIC UNIVERSITY OF THE PHILIPPINES-MAIN||74.34||47||16||63||74.60%||100||40||Level III||70||1:31||31||65|
|5||PHILIPPINE NORMAL UNIVERSITY-MANILA||71.50||17||3||20||85.00%||60||40||Level III||70||1:20||20||75|
|6||SAINT LOUIS UNIVERSITY||70.50||10||0||10||100.00%||40||90||Not Accredited||30||1:27||27||75|
|7||UNIVERSITY OF SAN JOSE-RECOLETOS||67.98||16||5||21||76.19%||60||40||Level III||70||1:20||20||75|
|8||LOURDES COLLEGE||61.76||12||7||19||63.16%||50||40||Level III||70||1:11||11||85|
|9||CITY COLLEGE OF CALAPAN||61.58||15||4||19||78.95%||50||40||Not Accredited||30||1:20||20||100|
|10||BALIUAG UNIVERSITY||60.59||15||8||23||65.22%||60||80||Not Accredited||30||1:18||18||85|
|11||MANUEL S. ENVERGA UNIVERSITY FOUNDATION-LUCENA CITY||60.19||18||8||26||69.23%||70||40||Not Accredited||30||1:18||18||85|
|12||MINDANAO STATE UNIVERSITY-MARAWI CITY||56.50||13||7||20||65.00%||60||40||Not Accredited||30||1:17||17||85|
|13||UNIVERSITY OF SAN CARLOS||54.19||9||4||13||69.23%||40||40||Not Accredited||30||1:16||16||85|
|14||NOTRE DAME OF MARBEL UNIVERSITY||52.94||11||7||18||61.11%||50||40||Not Accredited||30||1:18||18||85|
|15||CENTRAL PHILIPPINE UNIVERSITY||52.50||9||6||15||60.00%||50||40||Not Accredited||30||1:15||15||85|
- 2019 List of Centers of Excellence and Development. (2019, May 8). Retrieved from https://ched.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2019-List-of-COE-and-CODs.pdf
- Private Higher Education Institutions Faculty-Student Ratio. (2019, June 8). Retrieved from https://ched.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2019-Private-HEIs-Faculty-Student-Ratio.pdf
- State Universities and Colleges (SUCs) Faculty Student Ratio. (2019, June 8). Retrieved from https://ched.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2019-SUCs-Faculty-Student-Ratio.pdf
- September 2019 Librarian Licensure Examination Results Released in Three (3) Working Days. (2019, September 16). Retrieved from https://www.prc.gov.ph/article/september-2019-librarian-licensure-examination-results-released-three-3-working-days/4122
- Accreditation Status of Institutional Members (All Years, 1992-2017). Retrieved from http://www.aaccupqa.org.ph/index.php/about-aaccup/institutional-members/4-institutional-members
- Institutions/Programs that were Granted Various Accredited Status by Region, (2019, July 4). Retrieved from https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uQi3ioO1duYpDC8CAfpZ821QDtTem4dS/view
- Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities. Retrieved from http://paascu.org.ph/?page_id=119