The ranking of the best chemical engineering schools in the Philippines for 2017 has been released, which currently features only 13 out of the 41 colleges and universities offering undergraduate programs in chemical engineering.
University of the Philippines Diliman led the list of the top performing schools offering chemical engineering undergraduate programs in 2017 with 96.04 percent overall score. University of Santo Tomas followed with 87.69 percent while University of the Philippines Los Baños and University of San Carlos ranked third and fourth with 85.55% and 83.50% overall scores, respectively. De La Salle University-Manila landed fifth with 83.42 percent overall score.
University of the Philippines-Diliman, University of Santo Tomas, University of San Carlos, and De La Salle University-Manila are presently Centers of Excellence (COEs) for chemical engineering as accredited by the Commission of Higher Education (CHEd). On one hand, University of the Philippines-Los Baños is currently Center of Development for chemical engineering.
The rankings are based on the results of two licensure examinations in 2017 (May and November) plus other factors including level of accreditation and faculty-student ratio to find out which schools offering undergraduate programs in chemical engineering have the most valuable degree programs to produce batch of examinees with high chemical engineer licensure examination (ALE) passing rates.
The ranking uses the same performance indicators as the Local Pulse School Rankings, however the weightings for number of examinees were adjusted to reflect programs with less examinees. Details on the methodology are discussed here. Other possible factors which are possibly secondary variables in determining the best Philippine schools to study chemical engineering are included in the disclaimer page. Factors such as international linkages, community involvement, employer reputation, research outputs, and research citations per faculty are not part of this study. These variables are assumed to be assessed by accredited agencies such as PACUCOA, PAASCU, AACCUP, and CHEd.
- 29 Best Criminology Schools in the Philippines for 2017
- 49 Best Nursing Schools in the Philippines for 2017
- 57 Best Secondary Education Schools in the Philippines for 2017
- 28 Best Elementary Education Schools in the Philippines for 2017
- 39 Best Psychology Schools in the Philippines for 2017
- 20 Best Accountancy Schools in the Philippines for 2017
- 23 Best Electronics Engineering Schools in the Philippines for 2017
- 26 Best Mechanical Engineering Schools in the Philippines for 2017
- 25 Best Medical Schools in the Philippines for 2017
- Top Philippine Architecture Schools in 2017
- 34 Best Electrical Engineering Schools in PH for 2017
- Best Philippine Schools for Medical Technology 2017
- 22 Best Philippine Schools for Pharmacy in 2017
- 2017 University Rankings based on Centers of Development/Excellence
To rank the schools, we took the average of the weighted passing rates of the two chemical engineer licensure examinations in 2017, the number of examinees, and top performing examinees as the overall board exam performance, and faculty-student ratio and accreditation status of the architecture undergraduate program as other criteria. Note that the passing rates we used for 2017 chemical engineer licensure examinations were adjusted to 60% and above (unlike the PRC’s 80%), and minimum of 20 examinees (unlike the PRC’s 50 minimum examinees).
Read on to see which schools made the list.
|13 Best Philippine Schools with Chemical Engineering Programs for 2017|
|RANK||SCHOOL||OVERALL SCORE||OVERALL BOARD EXAM PERFORMANCE (70%)||OTHER CRITERIA (30%)|
|PASSED||FAILED||TOTAL||Weighted % PASSED (40%)||No. of Examinees (20%)||With Top Examinees (10%)||Accreditation Level||Accreditation Level Score (20%)||Faculty-Student Ratio (FSR)||No. of Students per Faculty||FSR Score (10%)|
|1||UNIVERSITY OF THE PHILIPPINES- DILIMAN||96.04||85||1||86||98.84%||90||100||COE||100||1:15||15||85|
|2||UNIVERSITY OF SANTO TOMAS||87.69||117||38||155||75.49%||100||90||COE||100||1:14||14||85|
|3||UNIVERSITY OF THE PHILIPPINES- LOS BAÑOS||85.55||85||12||97||87.63%||100||40||COD||90||1:15||15||85|
|4||UNIVERSITY OF SAN CARLOS||83.50||35||5||40||87.50%||50||100||COE||100||1:16||16||85|
|5||DE LA SALLE UNIVERSITY-MANILA||83.42||44||5||49||89.80%||50||90||COE||100||1:14||14||85|
|7||MINDANAO STATE UNIVERSITY- ILIGAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY||75.95||41||21||62||66.13%||70||80||COE||100||1:21||21||75|
|8||UNIVERSITY OF THE PHILIPPINES-VISAYAS-ILOILO CITY||72.36||26||3||29||89.66%||30||100||Independent||60||1:15||15||85|
|11||BATANGAS STATE UNIVERSITY - ALANGILAN||66.99||47||19||66||71.21%||70||60||Level II||60||1:33||33||65|
|12||PAMANTASAN NG LUNGSOD NG MAYNILA||60.41||17||5||22||77.27%||30||40||Independent||60||1:20||20||75|
|13||MALAYAN COLLEGES LAGUNA||59.81||25||13||38||65.79%||40||40||ABET||70||1:22||22||75|
- List of Centers of Excellence and Development. (2017, January 24). Retrieved from http://api.ched.ph/api/v1/download/4323
- Private Higher Education Institutions Faculty-Student Ratio. (2017, April 10). Retrieved from http://api.ched.ph/api/v1/download/4433
- Private Higher Education Institutions Faculty-Student Ratio 2015/2016. (2016). Retrieved from http://api.ched.ph/api/v1/download/2346
- State Universities and Colleges (SUCs) Faculty Student Ratio. (2017, April 10). Retrieved from http://api.ched.ph/api/v1/download/4327
- May 2017 Chemical Engineer Licensure Examination results released in two (2) working days. (2017, May 30). Retrieved from https://www.prc.gov.ph/article/may-2017-chemical-engineer-licensure-examination-results-released-two-2-working-days/1403
- November 2017 Chemical Engineer Licensure Examination results released in two (2) working days. (2017, November 22). Retrieved from https://www.prc.gov.ph/article/november-2017-chemical-engineer-licensure-examination-results-released-two-2-working-days
- Certified Levels. Institutions that were Granted Institutional Accreditation. (2017, April 25). Retrieved from http://www.pacucoa.ph/Certified%20Levels%20as%20of%20June%202017.pdf
- Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities. Retrieved from http://paascu.org.ph/?page_id=119