Some schools have announced the suspension of classes and office work on Monday, September 25, 2017 due to the scheduled transport strike of jeepney operators.
Malacañang is expected to announce on Sunday, Sept. 24 the suspension of classes for Monday in all affected areas in the elementary and high school levels.
Netizens are awaiting the announcement from the Office of the Executive Secretary for an announcement if there will be a suspension of classes in the tertiary level tomorrow (Monday).
The schools and areas that earlier announced suspension of classes and office work are:
(Update as of 5:50 a.m., Sept. 25, 2017)
- Malabon City – all levels (public and private)
- San Jose Del Monte City, Bulacan – all levels (public and private)
- Marilao, Bulacan – all levels (public and private)
- Santa Maria, Bulacan – all levels (public and private)
- Malolos City, Bulacan – all levels (public and private)
- Bocaue, Bulacan – all levels (public and private)
Colleges and Universities
- FEU Senior High School
- University of the East (Manila & Caloocan) – preschool to senior high school
- Bulacan State University
- La Consolacion University
Another transport strike is planned on September 25 (Monday) and 26 (Tuesday) to protest the government’s gradual plan of phasing out public utility jeepneys (PUJs), according to a report by David Santos of CNN Philippines.
The leader of transport group STOP and GO Coalition claimed the demonstration on Monday will be a massive nationwide strike. Stop and Go Transport Coalition President Jun Magno said in a news briefing Monday they expect the participation of at least 90 percent of their 74,000 member-operators nationwide.
This early, Magno apologized to the public for the inconvenience the transport strike may cause.